Thursday, November 07, 2013

The beauty under my nose

Thursday, November 7th, 2013


Living in North Wales - or, I suppose, any other beautiful part of the United Kingdom - it's all too easy to overlook the splendour of your surroundings. I live in Llandudno and virtually have a great big bloody mountain in my back garden (the Great Orme); I have the Irish Sea lapping at the sandy shore 30 seconds from my front door; and I have the rolling green hills of the Conwy Valley just minutes away.
But do I see that every day? No. What I see is the drudgery of driving to work, filling up on petrol, nipping to the corner shop for some bread, and putting the rubbish out.
But as I do all of these mundane, everyday things, I forget that I am doing it in such beautiful, often breathtaking natural surroundings. North Wales is an inspiring place, and it is all too easy to ignore that fact by living here.
Today I noticed the sheer amazingness of the fact the ocean was just metres away from my shoes, just along a short cobbled pathway down to the beach near Conwy. Beyond it, the rest of the world, this beautiful planet Earth.
But we don't have to go too far to see a fraction of that beauty, here, in North Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment