Monday, November 18, 2013

New take on an old story

Friday, November 15, 2013


Most people who know me probably wouldn't think of me as a dance fan, but the truth is it's one of my favourite things to see at the theatre. The genius of how a person can express themselves through movement always amazes me, so tonight's very special performance of Swan Lake by Matthew Bourne's New Adventures company at the Lowry in Salford Quays was right up my street.
I'm not really into classical ballet, which Swan Lake usually is, but rather more contemporary, modern dance, which is what Bourne is renowned for doing. His Swan Lake is usually mistakenly referred to as the "all-male" version (it isn't), but the casting of both the main Swan and the Prince as men puts a welcome new spin on an age-old classic.
It forces you to see the familiar story through new eyes, and the performances were wonderful, as was the set design and the live band and the costumes (although the male swans didn't have much of those!).
Matthew Bourne has also staged performances of Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, The Nutcracker, The Picture of Dorian Gray, even Edward Scissorhands in the past, but 2014's new production will be Lord of the Flies, which I am already booked in to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment