Sunday, November 03, 2013

A drop of middle-aged vitriol please

Saturday, November 2nd, 2013


There's an exhibition of craftwork on at the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester at the moment which is largely made up of jewellery and glassware which doesn't really interest me, but there was one exhibit that I really loved.
Vinegar and Brown Paper is the creative name for artist Anthony Poplar, who designs and etches these simple but clever laboratory bottles, labelling them "Creative Juices" or "Sarcastic Venom" or "Acidic Wit" etc. I saw these and just thought they were so amusing, such a simple but clever idea.
Apparently Anthony ditched an award-winning career in advertising when he reached the "end of his creative tether" and indulged his artistic side instead, becoming a writer, designer and stay-at-home dad. How inspiring!
I considered buying a couple or three of the jars until I noticed they were £25 a pop, which is a good income for him but doesn't really do justice to my own cash flow! I do love them though.

No comments:

Post a Comment