Monday, December 07, 2015

December 7 - Montgomery Clift


Each day in December I'll be celebrating a handsome man. You may ask why, but there's no meaningful reply I can give other than: why not? They'll be revealed over the next 31 days in strict alphabetical order, so no favouritism. And you never know, I might celebrate 31 women in January...!

MONTGOMERY CLIFT, 1920-1966
Monty gave Marlon Brando a run for his money in the handsomest Hollywood star stakes, and in my opinion had the edge on Brando in his craft. Monty was impossibly handsome, with soulful eyes and a classically square-jawed, bequiffed charm. I often played tortured types, and is probably at his best in From Here to Eternity opposite Burt Lancaster, but for my money, a lesser known picture called Indiscretion of an American Wife (1953) is where his talent shines. He didn't get to make many films, but he'll always be remembered, perhaps as the least known of The Big Three from the 1950s - Brando, Dean and Clift. History books always talk about how Monty lost his looks following a disfiguring car accident in 1956, but I just don't see that. He looks rugged and worn at 45, but lost none of his handsome charm. Perhaps that soul was tortured just a little too much, though.



Monty after the disfiguring car accident.
Still bloody handsome, though

No comments:

Post a Comment